Boxer Kristaps Zutis acquitted in case over youth's beating
Zemgale District Court in Jelgava has acquitted boxer Kristaps Zutis of charges over beating a young man in 2021, also leaving the victim's compensation claim unexamined.

The Zemgale District Court in Jelgava on Monday delivered its verdict in the case against boxer Kristaps Zutis, acquitting him of the charge of beating a young man. The court confirmed the ruling to the LETA news agency.
At the same time, the court decided not to examine the compensation claim filed by the victim for moral and material damages.
Zutis says the outcome was expected
Zutis told LETA he viewed the ruling very positively and had anticipated this outcome. In his view, the court found that the case lacked evidence proving his guilt.
The boxer said that during closing arguments his defence lawyer had stressed the lack of evidence, including the absence of any witness who actually saw Zutis beating the young man.
Practical restrictions during the trial
Zutis said the prolonged proceedings had also created practical limitations for him, including preventing him from joining the National Guard after the start of the war in Ukraine and making it difficult to travel abroad for boxing matches.
Parties to the case have ten days from the announcement of the abbreviated ruling to submit a written request for a full judgment to be prepared, which can then be appealed.
As previously reported, the charge stemmed from an incident on 20 March 2021, when Zutis came to an apartment in Jelgava and struck a young man in the head and face at least four times. Zutis was charged under the article of the Criminal Law covering intentional minor bodily harm, which carries a penalty of up to one year of imprisonment, short-term imprisonment, probationary supervision, community service, or a fine.


