Tuesday, 18 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

SportsPublished: 18 August 2026 at 19:04

Celtic unlikely to add signings before LASK clash, O'Neill open to Hatate staying

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says new arrivals are unlikely before Wednesday's Champions League play-off first leg against LASK, and he would welcome midfielder Reo Hatate staying at the club. The club is still searching for a replacement for Arne Engels, who was sold to West Ham at the weekend.

Foto: BBC Sport

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill has indicated that fresh signings before Wednesday's Champions League play-off first leg at home to Austrian side LASK are unlikely, while also saying he would be content for midfielder Reo Hatate to remain at the club.

The Scottish champions have already brought in several players this summer, including Camilo Duran and Kasper Hogh, both of whom have impressed early on, alongside recent arrivals Mika Baur and Haissem Hassan. Asked whether more additions could arrive before Tuesday night's transfer deadline, O'Neill said there was a "fairly decent chance of nothing happening".

The comments come after Celtic sold midfielder Arne Engels to West Ham over the weekend. O'Neill said the club is still working to find a replacement and acknowledged it will be difficult to replicate Engels' running power for the visit of LASK.

Baur tipped to start

Baur made his first appearance for the club as a substitute in the 59th minute of Sunday's 4-0 win away at Dundee United. O'Neill suggested the German is likely to start against LASK, given that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is suspended and Hatate has not featured for the club so far this season.

O'Neill said he would have liked to keep Engels for a couple more matches given his familiarity with the squad, but confirmed Baur is the likely replacement despite still adjusting to his new teammates.

Hatate, who joined Celtic in 2022 and has two years remaining on his contract, has been an unused substitute this season and has not started a match since a 2-0 loss at Dundee United in April. O'Neill acknowledged the 28-year-old has struggled recently but said he hoped Hatate could return to the level he showed a couple of years ago, when he was among the best players in Scottish football. The manager noted there had been transfer enquiries for the Japan international, who has won five league titles, three Scottish Cups and two League Cups with Celtic, but nothing concrete has materialised. O'Neill added he has no issue with Hatate staying to fight for his place if that is what the player wants.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category