MeteoalarmRed Rain Warning issued for Latvia (17 municipalities)Alerts
Saturday, 22 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

UkrainePublished: 22 August 2026 at 22:41

Fedorov denies seeking Trump's support on US trip, does not rule out meeting Musk

Former Ukrainian defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov has denied that his upcoming US trip aims to secure President Trump's support on the election issue, though he did not rule out a meeting with Elon Musk.

Foto: Ukrainska Pravda (EN)

Former Ukrainian defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov has categorically denied, in an interview with 24 Kanal, that his upcoming trip to the United States is meant to seek support from President Donald Trump on any specific issue. He explained that the visit is primarily tied to his current work with the East Europe Foundation, including efforts to raise additional funding and previously arranged meetings with partners. Fedorov added that several important meetings on the defence sector and attracting investment are also planned, to be held in both Europe and the US, in connection with new development projects.

Asked whether he intends to seek Trump's backing for holding elections in Ukraine during the trip, Fedorov said he had no idea where such claims originated. He stressed that the election question is a domestic matter that should be discussed within Ukrainian society, and that no outside party should dictate or dismiss it. He therefore rejected the suggestion that he was trying to push this issue abroad, calling it untrue.

When asked whether he plans to meet with SpaceX chief Elon Musk and continue working with him, Fedorov gave a brief reply: "We'll see."

Background

The Kyiv Independent had earlier reported that Fedorov could travel to the US as soon as next week, while The Guardian suggested the trip was aimed at securing Washington's backing for the idea of holding elections in Ukraine. Fedorov's press service, however, stated that the trip is not linked to political meetings. On 6 August, Fedorov also said he remains in talks with Musk about the possibility of using the Starlink internet service to help target sites in Russia, including ballistic missile launchers.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category