Monday, 17 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

WorldPublished: 17 August 2026 at 07:01

Ralph Carr describes ‘living hell’ in custody after rape conviction, court told

A Victorian court heard evidence about entertainment and AFL figure Ralph Carr's psychological state following his conviction for rape, with his defence warning of a suicide risk if a sentence stay is refused.

Foto: The Guardian World

Entertainment manager and AFL identity Ralph Carr is enduring a “living hell” in custody after being convicted of rape, the county court of Victoria heard on Monday, with his lawyers detailing severe distress since his trial concluded last month.

Carr, 66, was found guilty of two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against a former employee, offences committed in March 2023. He had pleaded not guilty and did not give evidence during the trial.

Defence barrister Dermot Dann KC told the court that a report dated 14 August from psychiatrist Dr Jacqueline Rakov, based on three video conversations conducted while Carr was held at Melbourne Assessment prison, described him deliberately hitting his head as an act of self-harm, suffering three to four panic attacks daily, and spending 23 hours a day in cell lockdown.

Dann said that when Carr described feeling “destroyed”, he meant his career — built on public relations and industry connections — was irreparably damaged regardless of any future legal outcome. The barrister raised concerns that Carr could take his own life if the court refused his application to stay his sentence, arguing that losing hope for the future in that scenario would be especially dangerous for a man who maintains his innocence.

It remains unclear whether Carr's extended lockdown stems from concerns about self-harm or from his high profile making him a target for harm from other inmates. He reportedly told Rakov he had been recommended for hospital transfer twice due to blood pressure exceeding 200, and that he was barely sleeping or eating.

The offending occurred in March 2023 after the alleged victim spent an evening drinking alcohol and using cocaine with Carr at a friend's home while listening to music and watching football. She gave evidence over more than four days in a closed court session, which both prosecution and defence described as central to the case.

Carr's identity was suppressed shortly after he was charged, on the basis that multiple courts found him at risk of self-harm. Such suppression orders on mental health grounds have faced scrutiny in Victoria following another high-profile AFL-linked rape case, prompting the state government to announce planned legal reforms last week.

Since the 1990s, Carr has managed some of Australia's best-known pop artists, including Tina Arena, whom he married during their professional relationship. His client roster has shrunk in recent years, though he continued managing several AFL players, including former Richmond star Dustin Martin, who said he severed all ties with Carr immediately after the verdict. The hearing continues.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category