Monday, 17 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

LatviaPublished: 17 August 2026 at 20:03

Wind farm developer K2 Ventum demands government decide on impact assessment by end of August

Wind farm developer “K2 Ventum” has sent a letter to Latvia's Cabinet demanding a decision by 31 August on approving its environmental impact assessment, arguing further delay would be unlawful. The company says it may otherwise seek damages in court.

Foto: Latvijas Avīze

Wind farm developer SIA “K2 Ventum” has sent a letter to Latvia's Cabinet of Ministers and relevant ministries demanding that a decision on approving its environmental impact assessment (EIA) be made no later than 31 August. The company says the decision has already been delayed for more than eight months and that the legal deadline can no longer be extended, since the original deadline has already passed.

Protected zones issue resolved

In April, approval was postponed partly due to concerns that the project might violate Latvia's law on protection zones. The company says that on 11 August it received a letter from the Ministry of Smart Administration and Regional Development confirming that the planned activity does not breach that law. The same letter noted that the Ministry of Climate and Energy had in July asked the South Kurzeme and Kuldīga municipalities to organise a repeat public consultation — a request K2 Ventum considers legally unfounded.

Company says prior consultations were lawful

K2 Ventum recalls that the call for a repeat consultation arose after a municipal council member raised concerns about possible procedural violations in earlier hearings. However, the Energy and Environment Agency concluded back in September 2025 that the consultations had been conducted in line with regulatory requirements. The company argues the government overstepped its authority by imposing additional requirements, and claims it is being held to stricter and more time-consuming standards than other developers.

Possible litigation

The company notes that procedures for the project have been underway since October 2021 and that all involved institutions — including the state grid operator Augstsprieguma tīkls, the Nature Conservation Agency, and both municipalities — have already given their approval. K2 Ventum says that if the government fails to decide in time, it reserves the right to seek compensation in court, though the exact amount has not been disclosed.

Separately, the association “Piekraste rītdienai” claimed in early August that landscape visualisations in the EIA documentation had been manipulated. The company denies this, saying the images were based on available data and cannot perfectly reflect the real, current landscape.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category