No detained illegal migrants or their transporters since start of operation "Vilkatis"
Defence Minister Raivis Melnis said that since the launch of the operation "Vilkatis", stepped-up border monitoring has not led to the detention of any illegal migrants or people transporting them.

Latvia's Defence Minister Raivis Melnis said in a Monday morning interview with Latvian Radio and Latvian Television that no one has been detained in connection with illegal migration since the start of the operation "Vilkatis".
Under the operation, authorities have stepped up monitoring of illegal migrant movement in the country's border areas, as well as surveillance of people involved in transporting them. The minister stressed that so far there have been no cases requiring detention.
Melnis did not provide further details in the interview about the operation's duration or future plans.
/nginx/o/2026/08/10/17838160t1h6ccc.jpg)
