Russia says open to new ideas, but peace must reflect reality
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Moscow is open to new proposals to end the war in Ukraine, though any deal must reflect actual conditions. Talks between Russia and the US have largely stalled in recent weeks.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said in an interview published by News.ru on August 21 that Moscow is open to considering new proposals to end the war in Ukraine, but stressed that any offer must reflect the realities on the ground, Reuters reported.
Ryabkov said the United States is currently showing readiness for constructive dialogue and understands Russia's position. He added that what matters now is how much influence Washington can exert over decisions made by Kyiv's leadership and its European backers, whom he described as still hoping for Russia's strategic defeat.
Talks stalled
Russia-US talks on ending the war in Ukraine have largely stalled since US and Israeli strikes triggered the war in Iran. The Kremlin said on August 20 that it had no information on when the next visit to Moscow by US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner might take place.
In July, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said after meeting Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that Washington remains committed to helping end the war, but cautioned that a resolution would not come quickly and that Moscow was trying to find a compromise. Ryabkov said Russia is ready to hear out Rubio's ideas and remains open to constructive talks.
After nearly four and a half years of fighting, Russia occupies roughly a fifth of Ukraine's territory. Moscow has repeatedly said it is ready for negotiations, provided they reflect the actual situation.
Nuclear arms dialogue
Ryabkov also said Russia wants to maintain dialogue with the US on nuclear weapons. The previous nuclear arms treaty expired in February, creating a situation for the first time in more than 50 years in which the world's two largest nuclear powers are not bound by any agreement limiting their strategic arsenals. Moscow has said it will continue to observe the previously agreed limits on warhead numbers as long as Washington does the same.

