Tuesday, 18 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

Middle EastPublished: 18 August 2026 at 02:59

Kushner says Gaza rebuilding will not proceed until Hamas disarms

US envoy Jared Kushner, Donald Trump's son-in-law, said Gaza's reconstruction will be blocked until Hamas gives up its weapons, while affirming Washington will not limit Israel's right to self-defense.

Jared Kushner, US President Donald Trump's son-in-law and an envoy involved in Middle East affairs, has stated that reconstruction of the Gaza Strip will not be permitted to move forward until the Palestinian group Hamas disarms.

Kushner made clear that the United States does not intend to restrict Israel's right to defend itself, a position reaffirmed as Israeli strikes on Gaza continue. His comments come at a time when military activity in the territory shows no signs of easing, and the question of Hamas's disarmament remains a central point of contention among the parties involved.

Disarmament as a condition

According to Kushner, rebuilding Gaza — badly needed after prolonged destruction from the conflict — will be withheld as long as Hamas retains its military capabilities. This linkage suggests the US administration views the reconstruction and humanitarian recovery process as directly tied to resolving the territory's security situation.

At the same time, Kushner signaled that Israel's military operations in Gaza will continue without limits imposed by Washington, reinforcing the current US stance on the Israel-Hamas conflict.

The statement comes as the international community continues to monitor developments in Gaza, where military tension and the humanitarian crisis remain acute. No specific timeline or additional conditions for the reconstruction process have been made public so far.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category