LIV Golf scraps season finale in Michigan as it eyes 'next chapter'
LIV Golf has cancelled its Team Championships event in Michigan, with this week's Indianapolis tournament now serving as the season's final event. The league says the move lets it focus resources on a new phase after losing Saudi financial backing.

LIV Golf confirmed on Monday that it has cancelled its planned Team Championships tournament in Michigan, originally scheduled for 27-30 August. The decision had been widely anticipated for weeks, as tickets were no longer on sale and several players, including Tyrrell Hatton, had instead entered the British Masters over the same dates.
According to the league's statement, this week's event in Indianapolis will now be the season's last and will also double up as the team competition.
Uncertain future
LIV Golf's future has been uncertain since Saudi Arabia withdrew its financial backing in April. CEO Scott O'Neil, who recently said new investors had been secured, explained that ending the season now allows the league to put its full resources behind what comes next. He said LIV is being reimagined as a league owned by the players, built on a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience in markets where golf is growing fastest.
Since LIV's 2022 launch, Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) has spent £3.7bn, attracting players such as Bryson DeChambeau. Star players are expected to be offered equity as part of the new arrangement, though the Telegraph reported that LIV bosses expect Jon Rahm to leave. Rahm, recently crowned the league's individual champion for a third consecutive year, is nonetheless set to play in Indianapolis.
O'Neil had previously indicated the new investment deal could be completed in September. The Indianapolis event will also lose its planned live performances by Thomas Rhett and Disco Lines, while ticket-holders for the cancelled Michigan event will be refunded.


