Iran announces major new gas discovery amid war-damaged energy sector
Iran said on Sunday it had discovered more than 200 billion cubic metres of natural gas in Fars province, as its energy infrastructure continues to recover from months of war-related strikes. Over 160 billion cubic metres could reportedly be extracted from the field.

Iran's Petroleum Minister Mohsen Paknejad announced on Sunday that new natural gas reserves had been found in the south of the country, in Fars province, containing more than 200 billion cubic metres of gas. Speaking to state television, he said more than 160 billion cubic metres could potentially be extracted from the field.
Paknejad described the find as "sweet" natural gas, meaning it contains very little of the toxic gas hydrogen sulphide. This characteristic typically results in lower operating and development costs compared to other types of gas deposits.
The announcement comes as Iran's energy sector continues to suffer the effects of a months-long war. Since late February, when the United States and Israel launched joint strikes on Iran that marked the start of the wider Middle East conflict, the two countries have repeatedly targeted Iranian energy infrastructure, including gas production facilities, oil depots and transport routes.
Production still years away
Citing Bloomberg, reports on the discovery noted that any actual production from the newly found field is likely years away, given the infrastructure development required to bring it online.
The discovery was announced at a time when Iran's broader energy sector remains under strain from damaged facilities and disrupted output caused by months of military strikes.

