MeteoalarmOrange Wind Warning issued for Latvia (27 municipalities)Alerts
Friday, 21 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

Middle EastPublished: 21 August 2026 at 11:00

Israel's plan to build thousands of homes in occupied West Bank draws Western condemnation

Israel has launched tenders for over 1,200 buildings in a strategically vital part of the occupied West Bank, prompting sharp condemnation from Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and the UN, who warn it threatens peace prospects.

Foto: BNN

On 19 August, Israeli authorities issued tenders for the construction of 1,234 buildings across roughly 12 square kilometers in the occupied West Bank, the BBC reports. The project targets the so-called E1 area east of Jerusalem, a zone Israel had avoided developing for decades due to international pressure.

Western response

In a joint statement released on 20 August, Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Canada called the plan unacceptable and urged Israel to abandon it immediately. The statement said the decision was especially alarming given regional instability, extremely high levels of settler violence against Palestinians, and severe restrictions imposed on the Palestinian economy. Criticism from UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband on 20 August drew an immediate sharp response from Israel's foreign ministry.

In a separate statement, the UN Secretary-General said the E1 construction plan poses an existential threat to a future Palestinian state, a view echoed by Belgium's foreign minister. Both Israel's allies and Palestinians have repeatedly warned that a settlement in this location would split the West Bank in two and cut off East Jerusalem, dealing a severe blow to hopes for a two-state solution.

Tender timed before elections

The Israeli government pressed ahead despite a legal challenge from Palestinian Bedouins and Israeli peace organizations. By comparison, 3,401 buildings were approved in August of last year. The tender closes on 19 October, just days before elections scheduled for 27 October, making it harder for any incoming government to challenge the outcome.

When the project was announced, Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich declared that the idea of a Palestinian state had been "erased." Since occupying the West Bank and East Jerusalem, Israel has established around 160 settlements housing roughly 700,000 Jewish residents, alongside about 3.3 million Palestinians. Under international law, all such settlements are considered illegal.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category