At least 12 killed as Russia launches massive missile and drone attack on Kyiv
A large-scale overnight Russian attack combining ballistic and cruise missiles with drones killed at least 12 people and injured 40 in Kyiv and its region. Kyiv's mayor declared Friday a day of mourning in the city.

Russia carried out one of its largest attacks on Kyiv overnight into Thursday, combining various types of ballistic and cruise missiles with attack drones. At least 12 people were killed and 40 injured in the strikes.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia had been preparing the attack for a long time, deliberately aiming to cause as much damage as possible to civilian infrastructure. Destruction was reported not only in Kyiv and the surrounding region but also in the Odesa and Chernihiv regions.
Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said 18 people were hospitalised following the overnight strikes, with emergency and clean-up operations continuing across three districts of the city. He said residential and non-residential buildings, a school and a children's hospital had been damaged. In response, Klitschko declared Friday a day of mourning in the capital.
Poland also on alert
The scale of the assault prompted Polish authorities to send emergency alerts to residents in two border regions, warning of a massive air attack underway in western Ukraine. The alert was lifted about 90 minutes later. Poland's military command said it had scrambled aircraft and activated air defence systems to protect its airspace near the Ukrainian border.
Zelenskyy warned that as long as Ukraine lacks sufficient anti-ballistic missile defence, Russia will not seriously consider peace. He stressed that every additional interceptor missile saves lives, and pledged to work with allies to secure more Patriot systems to protect Ukraine.


/nginx/o/2026/08/20/17859682t1hd7a8.png)