Nick Kyrgios says he tested positive for cocaine, faces provisional ban
Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios announced he failed a drug test after cocaine was found in his system and has been provisionally suspended from tennis. The 31-year-old Australian, now ranked 919th following repeated injuries, said he takes full responsibility.

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed on Wednesday that he failed a drug test after cocaine was detected in his system, resulting in a provisional suspension from tennis.
The 31-year-old Australian, who lost the 2022 Wimbledon final to Novak Djokovic, has seen his ranking fall to 919th in the world following a prolonged run of injuries.
Kyrgios disclosed the case himself on social media, explaining that the positive sample was taken in Mallorca, where he had competed in a lower-tier tournament in June. He wrote that he had made a serious mistake and accepted full responsibility for it.
Cocaine is classified as a banned substance during competition, though lesser penalties apply when it is used outside of competition periods. Kyrgios said he had struggled to accept being near the end of his career after two years plagued by injuries, describing moments of feeling helpless and alone, while stressing that this did not excuse his actions.
Last month, Kyrgios received a wild card to compete in the men's doubles at Wimbledon alongside Alexander Bublik, but the pair were eliminated in the first round.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency, which will handle the prosecution of the case, said Kyrgios's sample was collected on 22 June, with the positive result confirmed on 17 July — after his Wimbledon appearance. A mandatory provisional suspension took effect on 4 August, and Kyrgios has not appealed the decision, according to the ITIA.

/nginx/o/2026/08/19/17857263t1hf107.jpg)