Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Rīga TV

World and Latvian news in one place

SportsPublished: 19 August 2026 at 16:59

Kanter claims eight more basketball players ready to enter WNBA draft

Former NBA player Enes Kanter says eight male basketball players are considering identifying as women to enter the 2027 WNBA draft in protest of the league's rules. He had earlier announced his own bid to enter the draft.

Foto: Sportacentrs

Former NBA center Enes Kanter has said on social media that he has been in contact with several male basketball players who are ready to enter the 2027 WNBA draft if the league does not change its eligibility rules.

According to Kanter, he has spoken with two former NBA players, three G League players and three European basketball players. All eight reportedly said they are ready to join the effort and are considering entering the draft by identifying as women if the WNBA does not amend its current rules.

Pay gap used as argument

In his statement, Kanter also pointed to the pay disparity between the leagues. He noted that NBA G League players earn around 45 thousand dollars a year, while the WNBA's top-paid players can earn up to 1.4 million dollars. According to him, players identifying as women could theoretically gain an extra 1.3 million dollars in earnings.

Kanter closed his remarks with the phrase "rules are rules," pointing to what he considers gaps in the WNBA's regulations on draft eligibility.

Earlier announcement

Kanter had previously announced on his Instagram account that he himself had entered the 2027 WNBA draft. He explained that his team had reviewed the league's eligibility rules and described his move as a challenge to what he sees as contradictions in the WNBA's current regulations.

Comments

0/1500

Comments are automatically moderated. No hate, threats, personal data or spam.

Loading comments…

More in this category